Killarney’s Richard Maes wins 2nd Stage by a stretch

Stage 2 Finish

Sunday’s stage of the Suir Valley 3 Day started off with a deluge of rain, speed and hills, the race started with a KOH at 5.3kms and it was Elliott Porter Neon Velo who took the first points towards the mountains jersey, onwards to Pinewood Healthcare hot spot @10.6kms in Ballymacarbry was won by Robin Garry of the Team Isle of Man, again the pace was fast following this hotspot and the pressure relentless as the next KOM of the day was at 15.3kms and this again was won by Neon Velos Elliott Porter. This relentless pressure caused the main peloton to split into 5-6 defined groups of 15 riders and the main peloton of over 70riders.

The main peloton now well established headed down Colligan Hill at over 80kms in parts with all the main holder in attendance. Heading for the pike across military road it was Jake Hales of Spirit bikes who took Hot spot 2 of the day and all junctions were well marshalled by Dungarvan CC . The main peloton of 70 riders rode very steady up with attacks coming from Porter, Feeley and Cian O’Reilly and Stephen Murray of Strata 3 Velo Revolution but again it was  Elliott Porter who took the KOM points and took the Jersey into Stage 3.  On the descent of to Leamybrien there were many attacks with riders trying to get away all being covered by the JLT Condor team but it was a solo effort from Daire Feeley Team iTap which seemed to stick and he soon built up a lead of 38secs and he was soon joined by Eoin Morton UCD and Antony Walsh of Team Aquablue at the 62kms again being chased by the JLT Condor team who were in protect mode as Feeley had the virtual yellow.

The next Hot spot at Seskin Hill was won by Anthony Walsh of Team Aquablue from the group of 3 leaders @secs who’s gap was now reducing due to the efforts o the JLT Team. They sped into Carrick On Suir past Walls pub and was well marshalled by Carrick Wheelers Paul Lonergan (chapeau Paul) but leaving Carrick on Suir disaster struck just after the 15kms sign for the yellow jersey Stephen Williams JLT Condor as a crash at fisherman’s hill meant he needed a bike change but his team mates riding hard at the front isolated the yellow jersey. Williams signalled to DS Tim Kennaugh as a very swift bike change saw him back moving within seconds.

On hearing the news of the crash the front 3 rode hard and JLT eased the pace but it wasn’t needed as Stephan Williams showed his class as rode straight back into the cavalcade very calmly, with 10kms to go JLT put the hammer back down and the efforts of all riders especially Luke Grivell Mellor who sacrificed themselves for the yellow jersey and by 2kms to go the lead 3 of Feeley Morton and Walsh were caught. The race now came down to the final km and there were 3 punctures heading over the loreto bridge but the peloton had now become one string of riders travelling at excessive speed.

Onto the Main street there was a great sprint lined up in front of a large crown but it was Richard Maes of Killarney who outsprinted and outstretched Ed Clems of Spirit Bikes to take the 2nd Stage win of the Suir Valley 3 Day

Suir Valley 3 Day Stage 2-Clonmel_Results

Suir Valley 3 Day Stage 2 Communiqué




This entry was posted in SV3 News. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.